Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lily of the Valley, Purple English Roses and Lavender Poppies

As I am working on a special project the last few days, I've been also taking little detours along the way. I had some leftover clay from my football mum and hydrangea bouquet order so I decided to make some purple flowers. I made some deep purple English style roses, light lavender poppies and I was inspired by my late mother-in-law's love for lily of the valley. She grew up surrounded by them as they were her parents' favorite flower. She had them around growing up. She gave us a plant and due to the heat last summer, it fried the plant. I was completely mortified because it was a gift and I knew how much it meant to her for us to carry on the tradition. I didn't have the hear to tell her it died, but it's my intent to get the plant or seeds and try to grow them again so our son carries on the tradition.
Anyway, I love this piece. It's so romantic and spring like. The lily of the valley adds lots of movement and softness to the bold color of the roses and the large size of the poppies. This would make a great mother's day gift!

2 comments:

Rena said...

Wow - these are amazing. I can't believe they are not real!

Rena said...

Wow - these are amazing. I can't believe they aren't real!